Tuesday, March 04, 2008

march is women's history month

Yesterday I was invited to speak and teach crochet at a women's history event at Baruch College, City University of New York. We had a great discussion about the history of so-called "women's work", especially needlecrafts, and the effect feminism has had first on decreasing, and now increasing, the prevalence and acceptance of these skills. Then we demonstrated our feminist ideals by learning to crochet! A colleague and I taught the group how to hook - it was great, everybody mastered the basics and it was a lot of fun. I think it was a clever idea for a women's history program - thanks for having me, Baruch!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice MCR, I love these old pictures... What else is on the calander for women's history month?

DATALOG said...

i love this old pic too.....we are charting the revolution to reclaim woman arts , whether you like it or not.