Wednesday, February 06, 2008

HOW TO: block on the cheap

I finally did it! Finished The Yellow Scarf that Wouldn't Die. Here's what it looked like when it came off the needles - in its unblocked state:



All that was left to do was block it. Believe it or not, I discovered that I don't have a lot of blocking supplies in my vast mountain of craft materials. All I had was a few rust-proof blocking pins. Since lace requires serious blocking, I knew that I needed a good blocking surface and either blocking wires or a few more packages of blocking pins.

I checked knitpicks and discovered that a blocking board would put me back $80, and blocking wires would cost me $30. Ouch! After a little brainstorming, I improvised some cheapskate substitutions. Here's how I saved $110!

There are actually lots of substitutions for a blocking board - you can block things on a mattress, a carpet, or a piece of cardboard. The obstacles for me were that I needed something long enough to accommodate the scarf, and a place where the furry monsters who live in my apartment couldn't attack. SO: I used an old foamcore-mounted poster which I no longer wanted, cut it lengthwise into two strips, and set them on the kitchen counter.

Now for the wires. It was a challenge to think of something stiff and wire-like that wouldn't rust. But after a little stroll through the hardware store, I found my prize: plastic-covered electrical wire! It cost all of $2.76. Feeling pretty pleased with my smartness and uncharacteristic frugalness, I headed back home to block.



I soaked the scarf in cool water and Soak Wash, squeezed out the excess water and rolled the scarf in a towel then gave it another squeeze. Then I threaded the wire through the long sides of the scarf and pinned it to the foamcore every few inches, adding pins at the short ends too. Then, I went to sleep.


The next morning I was greeted by a beautiful scarf - I was surprised and delighted by how much better my boring yellow strip looked. So whisper-thin, airy and soft. Yay for blocking! Now I can't wait to get my blocking wires on that shawl.

Anybody have any other tips for household items that can stand in for overpriced craft supplies? Do tell!

6 comments:

lady butta.fly said...

i'm going to try that. i usually just lay my pieces out on a towel and smooth them out as best as i can.

Carrie Penny said...

For something a little smaller I have used my ironing board, I am not about to shell out that kind of money for a blocking board either. I have also used an old project board (tri fold) that I had laying around the house from some project I had in High School. I cut it into strips and I had a tape that released from fabric w/ leaving residue instead of wires ( I have yet to use this technique w/ my more recent hobby of knitting, but I am sure it would still apply)

Anonymous said...

Great idea for blocking wires!

For a blocking board I use those interlocking rubber squares that they sell at Lowes or Home Depot for floor padding. They come in bright colors for kids or plain black (I'm guessing for like in front of a workshop bench or some such). They cost around $20 for 6 18"x18" squares which you can put together in any configuration and pretty much self-heal from the pins.

DATALOG said...

this is so smart and the scarf turned out so pretty!
smart, frugal crafting, i love it...

Anonymous said...

MMMMMmmmmm... I want to play with that scarf...

Sir James Eric Watkins said...

I do have a chair you might be interested in.

I'll try to take a picture of it soon.