Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sewing 101: How to Make an Ottoman Slip Cover



My latest Sewing 101 column is up over at design*sponge - today I'm showing you how to make a slip cover for an ottoman!

It's a good basic tutorial on making a custom-fit cover for any ottoman, with special tips on getting nice, neat corners.



This project is SUPER easy -- I'd say you can complete it in less than two hours, no problem. And of course, this is another great way to incorporate cute fabrics into your decor without a big investment of time or money.



If you're at all hesitant about the construction, I suggest practicing first on a mini version with scrap fabric. You'll get the hang of it in no time, I promise!

I hope you'll check it out! (I now have a new fantasy of making four of these cubes and placing them in a mini grid to make a large coffee table. Wouldn't that be great for homes with kids - no sharp corners, and very washable. Um, cats would love it too.)


PS: I picked up the cube ottoman shown here on sale for only 20 bucks at Bed, Bath & Beyond online.

6 comments:

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Love your ottoman! It looks so happy! I;m having a slipcover party on Friday, come by and link up your ottoman...so everyone can see how cute it is!

Cottage Dreamers said...

I love the fabric and the nice, clean lines!
☺ Celeste

Lamp Tramp said...

Beautiful slipcover for the ottoman, love the fabric.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

So glad you linked up, people are going to flip over that cute ottoman! Adorable!

angie said...

Cute! And I love the Mod Green Pod fabric. Come join my weekly Slipcover Show-off party.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! And I love the fabric.