My friend Lisa is having a baby girl, and for her shower last week I made her this quilt! It was so much fun to work on, this was my first big sewing project in the new craft room and it felt great to be sewing again.
I was kind of a blank slate on this quilt - I knew I wanted something clean and modern, a little girly but not all traditional pink and white. I paid a visit to the always lovely Purl Soho fabric shop just to see what jumped out at me, and I came away with a bundle of twelve solid fabrics in a range of pinks to peaches to oranges and a little yellow. Since I'm obsessed with turquoise this year, I chose two aquas as accent colors, and a backing in white with polka dots in some of the colors I had selected. Here are the raw materials taking a rest on one of my new chairs:
This is a project that is not technically difficult to make, so I thought it would be a good one to offer as MCR's first free pattern. Wooo! If you have basic sewing machine skills and have been wanting to dabble in quilting, this is a great first project. I hope some day to make free patterns available on the site as downloaded pdfs, but I don't know how to do that yet (can anyone help me?!), so for now this will just live as a post. But if you click on the post title, the entire entry will come up on a page of its own, which you can print out and save. Here goes!
the lisa quilt
by manhattan craft room
finished size: approx 36" x 40.5"
what you'll need:
- 12 solid fabrics in a range of complimentary colors; about 3 yards total (12 fat quarters yield the perfect amount)
- 2 complementary solids in colors that contrast the other 12 (quarter yard of one color, about 1.5 yards of the second color, which you'll also use for the quilt binding)
- 2 yards patterned fabric for quilt back
- batting, preferably natural cotton, one piece at least 40" x 45"
- basic sewing supplies: sewing machine, thread, scissors, tape measure
- basic quilting tools: cutting mat and cutting wheel, clear quilter's straight edge
Instructions
So to start, cut your fabric into 2.25" strips. Just cut the entire length of your piece of fabric, however long that happens to be. (I worked with fat quarters, a special quarter-yard piece of fabric that many quilt shops offer. This gave me nice, manageable medium-length strips.)
Stack 3-4 strips evenly on top of each other (see photo above) to prepare to cut the strips into smaller pieces.
A note on quilting tools: a cutting mat, wheel and clear straight edge can save you hours in time on this project. If you don't have these tools, try borrowing them from a crafty friend, or use scissors (scissors will just take a little longer).
For the purposes of this pattern, I'm going to refer to pink fabrics and blue fabrics. Pinks are the group of colors you're using as your main fabrics, and blues are the contrasting centers of each square.
Next, cut each pink strip into shorter lengths to make the pieces you'll need to build each block. For each block you're making, you'll need the following lengths:
(1) 3" length
(2) 4" lengths
(1) 6" length
Since you're cutting a stack of strips, you'll end up with multiples of each of these cuts. Cut as many pieces as you can from each strip, keeping count of your totals so you'll have enough of each piece to build the blocks you need.
Also, cut all blue strips into 2.25" pieces, which will result in square shapes.
Cut enough fabric to make 72 squares total, or as many squares as you want to make any size quilt.
Now, start sewing! The individual quilt squares have wonky, uneven lines, which gives the quilt a less structured and more modern look. To accomplish this, sew the seams of the blocks with uneven seam allowance. For example, if you start at one corner with a 1/4" seam allowance, sew on a slight angle so that by the time you get to the end of the seam, the seam allowance is closer to 1/2". Or vice versa. You get the picture. Another way to get good wonky shapes is to offset the pieces before sewing - in other words, don't line up the raw edges perfectly, but overlap them slightly.
Another speed tip: don't bother cutting the thread between each piece. Just keep sewing one section after another, which will result in multiple pieces being strung together banner-style (see photo above). Again, I do a batch of several of these at a time. Afterwards, snip the thread between each piece.
Next, iron the seams to open them. I always iron the seams in all one direction, using lots of steam.
Then, keep building the squares by sewing a 4" strip to each long side of the sections you just made. Again, you can sew one after the other without cutting the thread in between, and sew the seams unevenly again to get that wonky look. Afterwards, iron the seams open.
Finish each square by sewing a 6" piece on the last edge, situating it so that the blue square forms the center.
Now. The thing about this type of wonky quilt is that you do need to square up the pieces at some point if you want the final quilt top to lie flat and have neat intersecting seams. So after you finish each square, use the cutting mat, clear straight edge and cutting wheel to trim it to 5" square. For a random look, rotate the untrimmed squares slightly before cutting, or place them so that the center blue squares will be off-center when cut - but the cut itself should be a precise 5" square with 90-degree corners.
Just keep cranking 'em out until you have 72 squares total.
Select 12 squares (one of each color, if you use 12 colors), and pin them up....
Continue building sections in this manner until are squares are used, then seam the sections together. As you lay out the squares for each new section, place them next to the existing neighboring sections to be sure no two identical colors are next to each other.
A note on assembly: don't be tempted to piece together the entire quilt top in strips. This makes it much more difficult to make your seams intersect neatly - working in smaller sections makes it easier to fudge seams allowances if necessary. Unless you're not a freak like me and you don't care if your seams intersect perfectly, in which case, more power to you!
Yay, now the quilt top is complete! Iron it well with lots of steam to make sure those seams are nice and flat.
Anyway, place the backing fabric on the floor wrong-side up, then place the batting on top of that, and the quilt top on the batting, right side up. Take a few minutes to be sure all layers are very smooth. Don't worry about trimming the backing and batting to the same size as the top - for now, it's better to leave a few extra inches around the border in case shifting occurs.
I just quilted straight lines vertically on the quilt. There are lots of other lovely quilting designs that one could do, but I'm not gonna lie, I was running out of time!
We're almost done! Make bias tape with one of the blue fabrics - do this by cutting the fabric on the bias (a 45-degree angle from the selvedge edge) in 2" strips. The strips need to be as long as each edge of the quilt, so seam more than one strip together lengthwise if necessary. Fold the strip in half width-wise, ironing as you go to make a foldline. Open it back up, fold each long edge inwards to meet at the center fold, and iron these. Finally, fold again along the first fold and iron the whole thing. This will result in a 2" strip of fabric that's folded into a 1/2" strip with four layers.
Using the machine, sew the bias tape to the top edge of the quilt (see photo above). Align one raw edge of the bias tape with the raw edge of the quilt, and sew just inside the first fold line. Fold the tape under and around to the back of the quilt, and stitch it by hand to the quilt back, making invisible stitches along the fold line of the bias tape. Sorry, this last bit has to be done by hand. On my first quilt I was sure it could do it on the machine if I just took my time, but it was a mess. Trust me: just put in a movie, grab your thimble, and get 'er done. It'll be over before you know it.
Did that finishing section seem a bit abbreviated? Sorry, it was like 2 in the morning and I got tired of taking pictures. Full disclosure: I finished the last 24" of hand seaming on this quilt after Lisa had opened the wrapped gift at the shower. (oops!) One day I'll do a nice step-by-step on finishing, with pics and all, and share it on the blog.
Here is is, Lisa's baby quilt, all done! I can't wait to meet that little peanut and wrap her up in this blanket. I hope this quilt sees many years of use; nothing would make me happier than to have it nearly destroyed by the love of little Baby V. Only about 4 more weeks and she'll be here, stay tuned!
Enjoy! If you use this pattern to make a quilt, please please pretty please take a picture and send it to me, I would love to see it!


6 comments:
Oh my gosh! you've been busy!
i love love the look of this quilt, its adorable! and such awesome colors.
id like to make a grown up size for my bed.
ps- love the chairs.
It's beautiful -- I love it! The colors are so fresh. Quilts like this only get better the more they're loved and washed. I know it will be a treasure!
The quilt is sooo beautiful, I also love the polka dot backing. The colors are great, baby will love it..
As the recipient of this quilt, I get so excited every time I look at it. I've been telling the baby all about it and she can't wait till she can cuddle with it! it's definitely going to be her favorite - we'll have to post a pic in a few years so everyone can see how loved its become! Thanks MCR - you're the best!
Hi MCR,
Thanks for the pattern. I have been trying to come up with a pattern for a baby quilt having a drawer full of fat quartersand having not quilted in YEARS. I'm going to get started today. I'll try my hand at uploading a pic when I'm done.
Regards
Patti P
I loooove this. Your directions were so detailed and the pictures were immensely helpful while I was making this quilt! I love the "wonky" squares". Anyway, I made this for my soon-to-be-born nephew, so I changed the color scheme to fit his sex, but you can see some pictures of it on my blog! http://www.dianagurley.us . You rock! Thanks sooo much for posting this free quilt pattern! I love your blog.
Post a Comment